CENTRAL TRANSPORT SMARTWAY PARTNERSHIP
Warren, Michigan, February 17, 2017
- Central Transport, LLC, one of the nation’s most technologically advanced less-than-truckload (LTL) carriers, announces SmartWay partnership.
The Company continues to invest in green initiatives aimed at promoting environmental sustainability. These programs have both reduced operating costs and improved resource usage throughout the system. Central Transport remains committed to its role in protecting and conserving the environment.
The SmartWay program launched in 2004 with only 50 companies and organizations – today, there are more than 3,000 partners and affiliates that participate. SmartWay is a voluntary partnership within the ground freight industry that aims to help carriers and shippers become more efficient, saving money by reducing fuel use. EPA’s SmartWay program proves that lowering carbon emissions from goods movement significantly strengthens supply chain performance and generates returns that positively affect the economy.
How Central Transport supports the SmartWay initiative:
• Implementation of tractors with more fuel efficient engines that reduce diesel emissions
• Automatic engine shut-down and EZ Pass tractors
• Full aerodynamic treatments on tractors
• Driver training programs for fuel efficient operation
• Cab roof and side fairing
• Road speed limiting
There are five basic steps to success with the SmartWay program:
1. Measure your supply chain footprint
2. Benchmark performance
3. Report results
4. Innovate operations
5. Improve efficiency
Companies that carry goods measure their fuel efficiency. When they submit their data information to EPA, they become registered SmartWay Carrier Partners, and performance is ranked against the performance of other companies in their sector.